THE ALLIX SHIPBUILDING
YARD No 1 (1830-1904)

Allix Shipyard Plaque in Havre des Pas(South side of Havre des Pas Rd)

This Havre des Pas shipbuilding yard was acquired from Mrs M. M. Le Feuvre, née Allix, by La Vingtaine de la Ville in 1979, for preservation as an open space. The shipbuilding was begun by the Allix family in 1830, when there was a demand for Jersey boats, which could be built more cheaply here than in the UK. By September 1876, 44 men, an apprentice and an improver were employed here, all starting work at 6 a.m. When the States constructed the Havre des Pas 'walk' they allowed Allix a gap in the new sea wall through which his ships could be launched. This can still be seen though now blocked in by stones. The first boat built here was The Jupiter in 1832, the last, a dory, for use by the Waterworks Company on its reservoirs. The plaque reads:- "THE ALLIX SHIPBUILDING YARD WAS ON THIS SITE UNTIL 1904."

Havre des Pas location shot for Allix's Shipyard


THE ALLIX SHIPBUILDING
YARD No 2 (1830-1904)

Plaque on left hand side of Allix's Shipyard(S.W. of entrance to feature)

This area was acquired from Mrs M. M. Le Feuvre, née Allix by La Vingtaine de la Ville in 1979, to preserve as an open space. The plaque reads:- "THIS AREA WAS ALLIX'S SHIPBUILDING YARD. IT WAS ACQUIRED FROM MRS. M. M. LE FEUVRE, NEE ALLIX, IN 1979 BY LA VINGTAINE DE LA VILLE FOR PRESERVATION AS AN OPEN SPACE."

Location shot for left hand entrance of Allix's Shipyard


THE ALLIX SHIPBUILDING
YARD No 3 (1830-1904)

Plaque on right hand side of Allix's Shipyard(S.E. of entrance to feature)

This shipyard is only one of many along Jersey's shores that built ships for four centuries for the Islanders' pursuit of trade and fortune, especially in the area of Newfoundland, on the east coast of N. America. The plaque reads:- "REMEMBERING THE MANY SHIPS BUILT ON JERSEY'S SHORES FOR THE ISLAND'S PURSUIT THROUGH FOUR CENTURIES OF TRADE AND FORTUNE ACROSS THE SEAS. UNVEILED BY HIS EXCELLENCY SIR PETER WHITELEY, C.C.B., O.B.E., LIEUTENANT-GOVERNOR, 1980."

Location shot for right hand side of Allix's Shipyard

View of the 'boat' from the sternview of the 'boat' by the bow

To see details of the project to enhance the site please click here