CHARING CROSS FEATURE
The feature erected at Charing Cross in 1978 to mark the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth the Second the previous year (La Croix de la Reine) contains features of the town, all within the Vingtaine. These are:
The Parish Church, Elizabeth Castle, the Hermitage, the old Island Prison, Le Mont de la Ville, "St. Helier" (copied from a statue in Bréville, Normandy), an ormer shell, a town pump, the gold torque, a sailing ship, a Jersey milk can, "V" for Victory or Vega, and royal initials. There are also panels depicting the parish emblem, Queen Elizabeth's Jubilee, the names of the designer and stonemason and those of the Procureurs of La Vingtaine de la Ville de St. Helier, who gave advice and provided the capital needed.
The flower bed that is attached is constructed with granite from all the quarries of Jersey and outlying islands. There is also a "footprint" of St. Helier.
Originally on the north edge of the sand dunes which then fronted St. Helier, with the sea wall stretching from Charing Cross to the entrance of what is now Bond and Conway Street. In 1693 a new Prison was built in Charing Cross. Before that, all prisoners had been kept in Gorey Castle before their trial and to serve their sentences.
The New Prison was built across the Street, a few yards from where King and Broad Streets now meet. The only entrance from the West of the Island into St Helier was under the archway the prison made across the road. By the beginning of the 19th century it had become overcrowded and in 1811 it was demolished.
La Pompe De Bas was also here until the late 19th century. The feature was erected in 1978 to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee in 1977. The plaque reads:- "AN ISLAND PRISON FACED THIS SITE. 1693-1815.