(by traffic lights near Howard Davis Park opp. Mornington Hotel)
This is one of the 19 main roads constructed by General Sir George Don, Jersey's Lieutenant Governor from 1806-1814. They were built to replace the Island's narrow, winding lanes in order to enable troops and artillery to be moved more speedily into defence positions to keep Jersey safe from invasion. Their building caused great controversy at the time, but, in recognition of all General Don did in Jersey, in 1885 his statue was erected in the Parade. For more in depth information on General Sir George Don please click here. (opens in new window). The plaque reads:- "THIS MAIN ROAD IS ONE OF 19 CONSTRUCTED BY GENERAL GEORGE DON WHEN LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, 1806-1814."
(British Homes Stores, Don Street)
This was a private street made public in 1817 and named after General George Don, Jersey's energetic Lieutenant Governor from 1806-1814. For more in depth information on General Sir George Don please click here. (opens in new window). The plaque reads:- "GENERAL GEORGE DON, LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, 1806-1814, GAVE HIS NAME TO THIS STREET."