LA VINGTAINE DE LA VILLE

LIST OF PLAQUES NO LONGER IN SITU


As plaques are restored they will be removed from this list and given pages of their own with pictures.


HAVRE DES PAS, MELBURY GUEST HOUSE, FREDERICK LONSDALE (1881 - 1954) Playwright

( was on Melbury Guest House, Havre des Pas, now demolished)

Born in St Helier he wrote many witty and light-hearted drawing room comedies, including 'The Last of Mrs Cheyney' (1925) and 'On Approval' (1927).  He also wrote the libretto of the 'Maid of the Mountains' (1916).

The plaque read:-

FREDERICK LONSDALE, 1881-1954, PLAYWRIGHT, LIBRETTIST, LIVED NEAR HERE.


HUE STREET POST OFFICE (1794)

(Exact position of plaque unknown)

This was the site of Jersey's first Post Office and as a result, the road became known for a time as La Rue de la Poste.  The first Postmaster was Charles William Le Geyt (1733-1827) who lived here and held the post for 20 years.  There being for the first 3 years no deliveries, people had to come to his house (open 8 am - 9 pm one hour for lunch) for letters.  From here he got mail ready for the weekly mail cutter to Weymouth.  In 1816, to be more central, the Post Office was transferred to Bath Street.

(See also Minden Place)

The plaque read:-

JERSEY'S FIRST POST OFFICE WAS IN THIS STREET.  POSTMASTER WAS CHARLES WM LE GEYT, 1733-1827.


LA MOTTE STREET, No 19, IVY ST. HELIER  (1886-1971) Actress, Singer, Composer

She was born here and after leaving Jersey had a successful career on stage, screen and radio.  She was a comedienne of exceptional ability, entertained troops in World War 1, was Manon La Crevette in the film of Noel Coward's 'Bitter Sweet' and in Olivier's film 'Henry V', wrote the music for 'Coal-Black Mammy'.

The plaque read:-

IVY ST.  HELIER, ACTRESS, 1886-1971, WAS BORN IN THIS STREET


NEW NORTH QUAY (New North Quay)


Part of the old harbour was filled in at the northern end in 1884 and a circular garden laid out on the reclaimed land.

Then the old North Pier was widened and subsequently called the New North Quay.  This was where the British troops landed on May 9th, 1945, to liberate Jersey from German Occupation.

(See also Albert Pier, Quai des Marchands, Old North Quay, Victoria Pier ).

The plaque read:-

THE FIRST BRITISH TROOPS ARRIVED HERE AFTER THE GERMAN OCCUPATION ON MAY 9,1945.