The foundation stone of this pier, originally called the New South Pier, was laid in 1841, by Major-General Sir Edward Gibbs, Lieut.-Governor, with whom were his staff of officers, the different members of the Chamber of Commerce, and nearly the whole of the resident Freemasons; a feu de joie being discharged by the different regiments of the Militia present to mark the auspicious event. An oil painting of the occasion is in the Museum. It was built for the States of Jersey at a cost of £280,000 by Thomas Le Gros and Jean Gruchy. The promenade and parapet were primarily constructed to create protection for the harbour as this quay was the outermost section of the harbour complex. The work was finished in 1846 and as one of the first to step on it, in the September, was Queen Victoria, it was immediately renamed Victoria Pier. The plaque reads:- "THIS VICTORIA PIER WAS BUILT FOR THE STATES OF JERSEY IN 1841 BY THOMAS LE GROS AND JEAN GRUCHY AT THE COST OF £280,000"
(See also Albert Pier, Commercial Buildings, New North Quay, Old North Quay)