In 1825 the States ordered the construction of a Public Weighbridge. Farmers would bring their produce here to be weighed, sold to the merchants, and then packed in the Merchants' store ready to be shipped abroad, mostly to the UK.
From 1895-1936 this was The Terminus of the Jersey Railway Company which first ran trains to St. Aubin and then to Corbiere which is commemorated in the mural on the eastern wall of Liberty Wharf (the former Tourism building). For more information on The Jersey Railway please click here. (opens in new window). The plaque reads:- "TERMINUS OF THE JERSEY RAILWAY COMPANY 1895-1936"
(see also Snow Hill (Jersey Eastern Railway))